[globaloutlookDH-l] Coronavirus and digital methods

Ernesto Priego efpriego at gmail.com
Thu Mar 12 07:54:02 MDT 2020

Hello all,

I hope everyone is doing well and keeping healthy. It seems to me the novel
coronavirus pandemic is giving us some very practical examples of how
poorly prepared higher education institutions remain culturally (socially)
and technologically to respond to situations that challenge the privilege
of physical, real time presence. It will also highlight differences in
infrastructural development across institutions and countries, social and
academic customs, and issues around access, mobility, engagement, pace of
change.

I thought I'd share two readings for context:

Reputation over responsibility: UK HE and the Covid-19 crisis
https://link.medium.com/liEl54MfN4

and

Why are some colleges closing over virus concerns while others stay open?
https://ihenow.com/2IIHZmJ

These articles do not specifically address the issue of digital technology,
online learning, digital methods of delivery, assessment and participation,
but I hope they can -random as they may potentially be seen- provoke
perhaps further thought and discussion of our role as academics working in
and with digital scholarship in scenarios like the one the world is facing
these days.

Is your university/college closed or considering closing? What role can the
digital humanities play in scenarios where social distancing measures are
implemented more thoroughly and widely?

All the best,

Ernesto

@ernestopriego
http://epriego.blog/ <https://epriego.wordpress.com/>
The Comics Grid: Journal of Comics Scholarship http://www.comicsgrid.com/
Parables of Care: https://blogs.city.ac.uk/parablesofcare/
Symbola Comics: https://figshare.com/collections/Symbola_Comics/4090025

The information contained in this email is confidential and may be legally
privileged. It is intended for the addressee(s) only. If you are not the
intended recipient, please delete this e-mail. The contents of this e-mail
must not be forwarded, disclosed or copied without the sender's consent.
author and do not necessarily reflect those of any related organisations,
projects, colleagues or employers.