[globaloutlookDH-l] African Digital Storytelling Symposium, Oct 8-9

Rosenblum, Brian brianrosenblum at ku.edu
Tue Sep 15 22:43:00 MDT 2020

Caution: This email was sent from someone outside of the University of Lethbridge. Do not click on links or open attachments unless you know they are safe. Please forward suspicious emails to phishing at uleth.ca.

Dear friends,

We are excited to announce the African Digital Storytelling Symposium<https://africandh.ku.edu/digital-storytelling-symposium-2020> on October 8 and 9, 10:00 AM – Noon (US Central Time) and we hope you will help spread the word and join us!

Featuring more than a dozen speakers, the symposium on digital storytelling in Africa will center the ways in which digital media hardware and software expand the forums and techniques available to Africans to tell stories about different aspects of life on the continent. We bring together participants from different parts of the world, including African locations, to think together about digital storytelling and what it might mean in the context of African digital cultures. The conversation will be of interest to anyone interested in storytelling and the digital humanities more generally.

The Symposium is free, streaming online via Zoom and Facebook, and open to anyone to join. (Registration information will be available soon.)

Full schedule and other details at: https://africandh.ku.edu/digital-storytelling-symposium-2020. We also have a nice storymap<https://uploads.knightlab.com/storymapjs/c10da3f1749b58ce5bcae2d7e3922e96/symposium-on-african-digital-storytelling/index.html> with information about the outstanding lineup of speakers. Kudos to my colleague James Yeku here at the University of Kansas for envisioning this event and putting it together, and thank you to all of the speakers and sponsors. We hope to see you there!

Speakers include:

  *   Kim Gallon, Purdue University
  *   Esther Armah, The Armah Institute
  *   Ama Bemma Adwetewa-Badu, Cornell University
  *   Chao Tayiana, African Digital Heritage (Kenya)
  *   Bayo Puddicombe, Chopup Games (Nigeria)
  *   Kọ́lá Túbọ̀sún, Yoruba Names Project (Nigeria)
  *   Shola Adenekan, University of Amsterdam
  *   Sanjin Muftić, University of Cape Town, South Africa
  *   Jayne Batzofin, University of Cape Town, South Africa
  *   Kwabena Opoku-Agyemang, University of Ghana
  *   Ainehi Edoro-Glines, University of Wisconsin-Madison
  *   Titi Babalola, University of Toronto
  *   Iryna Kuchma, EIFL

  *   Organized by James Yeku, University of Kansas.

Sponsors

  *   Institute for Digital Research in the Humanities, University of Kansas
https://idrh.ku.edu/
  *   Kansas African Studies Center
https://kasc.ku.edu/
  *   Department of African and African-American Studies, University of Kansas
https://afs.ku.edu/
  *   Center for Digital Humanities, University of Lagos
https://www.cedhul.com.ng/
  *   EIFL
https://eifl.net
  *   Global Outlook::Digital Humanities
http://www.globaloutlookdh.org/

Brian Rosenblum
Scholarly Digital Initiatives Librarian, University of Kansas Libraries
Co-Director, Institute for Digital Research in the Humanities
450 Watson Library
1425 Jayhawk Blvd
Lawrence, KS 66045
brianrosenblum at ku.edu<mailto:brianrosenblum at ku.edu> | http://idrh.ku.edu<http://idrh.ku.edu/> | @blros