Subject: cool tei tool to share
From: Eric Lease Morgan <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2007 15:40:38 -0400

Are you planning to attend the TEI Member's Meeting in November, and  
do you have a cool TEI tool to share? If so, then consider sharing  
your expertise in the proposed panel session, below:

   Title

     There is more than one way to get there from here: A TEI panel
     session

   Abstract

     This panel session provides attendees with opportunities to learn
     the many ways TEI documents are created, maintained, and
     presented within our community.

     For example, TEI documents might be created using a plain text
     editor, an XML editor, through the interactive use of a database
     application, or a combination of any of these technologies. For
     storage they can be saved to a file system, parsed into a
     relational database, dumped into a native XML database, or fed
     directly to an indexer. Like any XML document, they can be
     validated and transformed into other formats using any number of
     tools on any number of platforms. Search and display is still
     another matter. Query the storage system directly or feed them to
     an indexer to take advantage of the system's search engine logic.
     Maybe search is not even necessary and browse is suffice.
     Moreover, the interface(s) to the content do not necessarily need
     to be oriented only to humans; machine-to-machine interfaces such
     as OAI and SRU may be apropos. The distribution medium may be
     digital or physical. Digital mediums may take the form of HTML
     displays or PDF documents. Physical mediums may be printed books
     or packaged CD-ROMs. Obviously there is more than one way to get
     there from here, and this panel session presents the paths some
     of our community have taken to get where they are going.

Many of us are creating and distributing TEI files using numerous  
technologies. Tell us what you are doing. Inquiring minds would like  
to know.

If you are interested, then please contact me, Eric Morgan, sooner  
rather than later and we will see what we can do. Okay?

-- 
Eric Lease Morgan
Head, Digital Access and Information Architecture Department
University Libraries of Notre Dame

(574) 631-8604