Subject: MS SIG list re-opening
From: Elena Pierazzo <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 10 May 2007 23:03:40 +0100

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--------------050302090401090904070507
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-15; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Dear all,

I would like to invite all the interested people to join the Manuscript 
SIG mailing list (people can subscribe at 
http://listserv.brown.edu/archives/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=tei-ms-sig&A=1).

What follow is the message I've just posted to that list.

Best,

Elena

=========================================================

Dear all,

as you probably know, I've been asked to chair the MS SIG. Firstly, I 
would like to thank you all the people that in the last month have been 
writing me, offering their intention of starting a new deal together.

I know that in the past very few messages have been passed through this 
mailing list and I know that the very few of you that actually posted a 
message, received a very little feedback. It is clear that the success 
of a mailing list is not done by a single person, but by the community, 
so I hope that, strong with all the messages I've received lately, 
things will change a little in future.
Lately many manuscript-related question have otherwise been discussed in 
the maim TEI-List, and for that I reckon the interest on this topic 
being still high.

In the past a big node has set back the discussion both in the list and 
in general in the SIG, i.e. if the SIG was about discussing on 
ancient/medieval manuscripts or about modern (autograph draft) 
manuscripts. This issue was raised since the very first meeting of the 
MS SIG in Nancy (see 
http://www.tei-c.org.uk/Activities/SIG/Manuscript/mssigr01.xml.ID=body.1_div.2) 
and the miss of a clear statement on this has probably influenced the 
success of the SIG itself.

I do not want to give my opinion (or at least, not now!) myself about 
this, but I guess this is good starting point for any discussion among 
all of the people within the TEI community that are interested in 
manuscripts.

Of course, any other topic is more that welcomed. Here a short list of 
possible arguments that I've collected reading the exchanges on the 
TEI-L and from the messages that some of you kindly sent to me:

* genetic editions of draft manuscripts
* timed markup
* encoding of fragments, substitutions, variation
* text/images relations and interactions
* topographical information
* encoding of correspondence
* best practice for expansion of abbreviations
* elements for describing editorial work to be different or not from the 
one describing the source
* diplomatics descriptions and transcriptions
* just in time markup vs. just in time visualisation

The main aim of the SIG is to discuss about best practice in MS 
transcription and description in order to possibly clarify some gray 
areas of Guidelines or to propose the creation of new elements or modules.

The instruments I think we can use to reach this purpose are:

* the mailing list
* the TEI WIKI (at http://www.tei-c.org.uk/wiki/index.php/SIG:MSS)
* the annual TEI meeting

About the last point,it is probable that in the next TEI meeting in 
Baltimore a panel on manuscripts will be present, I hope I'll be able to 
confirm it quite soon.

I apologize for the rather long email, but I guess there was not 
possibility of being more synthetic.

Best and read you soon

Elena

-- 
Elena Pierazzo
Associate Researcher
Centre for Computing in the Humanities
King's College London
Kay House 7 Arundel St
London WC2R 3DX

Phone: 0207-848-1949
Fax: 0207-848-2980

--------------050302090401090904070507
Content-Type: text/html; charset=ISO-8859-15
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">
<html>
<head>
  <meta content="text/html;charset=ISO-8859-15"
 http-equiv="Content-Type">
</head>
<body bgcolor="#ffffff" text="#000000">
<font size="-1"><font face="Verdana">Dear all,<br>
<br>
I would like to invite all the interested people to join the Manuscript
SIG mailing list (people can subscribe at
<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://listserv.brown.edu/archives/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=tei-ms-sig&A=1">http://listserv.brown.edu/archives/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=tei-ms-sig&amp;A=1</a>).
<br>
<br>
What follow is the message I've just posted to that list.<br>
<br>
Best,<br>
<br>
Elena<br>
<br>
=========================================================<br>
<br>
<br>
Dear all,<br>
<br>
as you probably know, I've been asked to chair the MS SIG. Firstly, I
would like to thank you all the people that in the last month have been
writing me, offering their intention of starting a new deal together.<br>
<br>
I know that in the past very few messages have been passed through this
mailing list and I know that the very few of you that actually posted a
message, received a very little feedback. It is clear that the success
of a mailing list is not done by a single person, but by the community,
so I hope that, strong with all the messages I've received lately,
things will change a little in future.<br>
Lately many manuscript-related question have otherwise been discussed
in the maim TEI-List, and for that I reckon the interest on this topic
being still high.<br>
<br>
In the past a big node has set back the discussion both in the list and
in general in the SIG, i.e. if the SIG was about discussing on
ancient/medieval manuscripts or about modern (autograph draft)
manuscripts. This issue was raised since the very first meeting of the
MS SIG in Nancy (see
<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.tei-c.org.uk/Activities/SIG/Manuscript/mssigr01.xml.ID=body.1_div.2">http://www.tei-c.org.uk/Activities/SIG/Manuscript/mssigr01.xml.ID=body.1_div.2</a>)
and the miss of a clear statement on this has probably influenced the
success of the SIG itself.<br>
<br>
I do not want to give my opinion (or at least, not now!) myself about
this, but I guess this is good starting point for any discussion among
all of the people within the TEI community that are interested in
manuscripts.<br>
<br>
Of course, any other topic is more that welcomed. Here a short list of
possible arguments that I've collected reading the exchanges on the
TEI-L and from the messages that some of you kindly sent to me:<br>
<br>
* genetic editions of draft manuscripts<br>
* timed markup<br>
* encoding of fragments, substitutions, variation<br>
* text/images relations and interactions<br>
* topographical information<br>
* encoding of correspondence<br>
* best practice for expansion of abbreviations<br>
* elements for describing editorial work to be different or not from
the one describing the source<br>
* diplomatics descriptions and transcriptions<br>
* just in time markup vs. just in time visualisation<br>
<br>
The main aim of the SIG is to discuss about best practice in MS
transcription and description in order to possibly clarify some gray
areas of Guidelines or to propose the creation of new elements or
modules.<br>
<br>
The instruments I think we can use to reach this purpose are:<br>
<br>
* the mailing list <br>
* the TEI WIKI (at <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.tei-c.org.uk/wiki/index.php/SIG:MSS">http://www.tei-c.org.uk/wiki/index.php/SIG:MSS</a>)<br>
* the annual TEI meeting<br>
<br>
About the last point,it is probable </font></font><font size="-1"><font
 face="Verdana">that in the next TEI meeting in
Baltimore a panel on manuscripts will be present, I hope
I'll be able to confirm it quite soon.<br>
<br>
I apologize for the rather long email, but I guess there was not
possibility of being more synthetic.<br>
<br>
Best and read you soon<br>
<br>
Elena<br>
<br>
</font></font>-- <br>
Elena Pierazzo<br>
Associate Researcher<br>
Centre for Computing in the Humanities<br>
King's College London<br>
Kay House 7 Arundel St<br>
London WC2R 3DX<br>
<br>
Phone: 0207-848-1949<br>
Fax: 0207-848-2980 <br>
<font size="-1"><font face="Verdana"><br>
</font></font>
</body>
</html>

--------------050302090401090904070507--