Subject: Request for a survey on annotation tools in citizen science projects
From: Vincent Christlein <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2021 15:33:22 +0200

Dear researchers,

How may citizen scientists use *software tools to efficiently 
annotate/tag scientific data?* This question is pivotal to us, an 
interdisciplinary team from digital humanities, informatics, and 
empirical educational research at the Friedrich-Alexander University 
Erlangen-Nuremberg, Germany.

By annotating or tagging data we mean how to add metadata to images, 
text, videos etc. An example of this is when you describe what you see 
on photos. We would like to get to know an *overview of good 
practice* and further opportunities for supporting annotation and 
motivation of citizen scientists in annotation projects. For this, it is 
also important to know which annotation tools are used outside of 
citizen science projects.

We reach out to you as we are interested in your knowledge and 
experiences on annotation. Therefore, we would be very pleased if you 
would take the time to share your knowledge with us by *answering the* 
*questions below (answers can be send to [email-masked] 
<mailto:[email-masked]>) or via the following link: 
https://ww3.unipark.de/uc/annotation_tools/ 
<https://ww3.unipark.de/uc/annotation_tools/> *

Thank you for any response! And of course, we would like to share the 
results with you as soon as the planned survey is completed.

Best regards,

Stephan Kröner, Andreas Maier, Marc Stamminger, Vincent Christlein, Lisa 
Birnbaum, and Alexander Christ

*Questions regarding annotation tools*

1.*What annotation tools* are you familiar with?

/Please mention the name of the tools and, if possible, also add a link./

2.*What is important to citizen scientists* when using annotation tools?

3.What 
*works well* in implementing and using annotation tools with citizen scientists?

4.What 
*does not work well* in implementing and using annotation tools in citizen science?

5.Do you have any 
*advice* for others who implement an annotation tool in citizen science projects?

6.Is there any literature that you can indicate as a preference for annotating/tagging data?

7.Is there anything you would like to add, something we forgot to ask about?

8.Finally, we have a few questions about your background:

a.What are your professional qualifications?

b.Do you have experience in the field of citizen science? If yes, how long have you been working in this field?

-- 
Dr.-Ing. Vincent Christlein

Pattern Recognition Lab / Computer Science 5
Friedrich-Alexander-Universität Erlangen-Nürnberg (FAU)

Phone: +49 9131 85-20281
Mail: [email-masked]
Web: https://lme.tf.fau.de/person/christlein/
Twitter: @v_christlein