Subject: PhiloLogic 3.1 Beta Release
From: Mark Olsen <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2006 15:43:08 -0500

Hi all,

We are pleased to announce a beta test release of PhiloLogic 3.1.
PhiloLogic is an open source full-text search, retrieval and 
analysis tool developed by the ARTFL Project and the Digital 
Library Development Center (DLDC) at the University of Chicago. 
It is designed to work with a variety of data encoding 
specifications, most importantly TEI-Lite (XML/SGML) and other
TEI variants (such as MEP and CES), as well as some support for 
plaintext, docbook, and ATE (Dublin Core, HTML and some extensions).
Further information, sample databases, downloads, documentation
and our wiki are available at:
   http://philologic.uchicago.edu/

PhiloLogic 3.1 has been modified to support multi-lingual user 
interfaces. All 300+ system messages are now found in language
specific arrays which can be specified by the database 
administrator.  Sample databases on
   http://philologic.uchicago.edu/samples.php
denoted with an asterisk(*) are installed with the French messages
selected.  

We currently have French and English messages.  If you are using
PhiloLogic and want to help by translating the interface into
other languages, please let us know and we will be happy to
assist you in any way that we can.  We are particular interested
in Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, and German.  Latin would be fun.  :-)

A couple of caveats:  Please note that we have NOT translated system 
generated search forms.  We have found that search forms and headers 
are frequently heavily modified by users and administrators.  We have 
also opted not to support dynamic selection in the distribution, but 
this would be a trivial function.  If we find we need to do it, we will 
add the patch to the PhiloLogic wiki.  

Thanks!!

Mark 

for the PhiloLogic development team: Leonid Andreev, Russ Horton,
Orion Montoya, Mark Olsen, and Robert Voyer.

Mark Olsen
ARTFL Project
University of Chicago
(773) 702-8687
WWW: http://humanities.uchicago.edu/ARTFL/

Nothing will ever be attempted if all possible objections
must first be overcome.     ---    Samuel Johnson