Subject: UVic Image Markup Tool release
From: Martin Holmes <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2005 14:15:38 -0800

Hi there,

We've just released the first version of the Image Markup Tool I've 
mentioned a couple of times on the TEI list. The purpose of the tool 
is to provide an environment within which to annotate images using a 
combined TEI P5 and SVG schema, without necessarily having to know 
much about either format. This is an open-source project under the 
TAPoR umbrella.

The site for the tool is here:

<http://www.tapor.uvic.ca/~mholmes/image_markup/>

It's a Windows application, and is essentially complete and fully 
usable (we're using it on two projects right now). It lacks only a 
help file, but it has a decent tutorial:

<http://www.tapor.uvic.ca/~mholmes/image_markup/tutorial/getting_started.htm>

You can also see an example of the kind of work we've been doing with it here:

<http://www.tapor.uvic.ca/~mholmes/image_markup/tutorial/web_main_marked_up.xml>

This is a markup of a screenshot of the program interface itself; 
you'll need to be using a Mozilla browser or Internet Explorer to see 
it, because it requires client-side XSLT to produce the web view.

If you have a use for an image annotation tool, please give it a try 
and let us know what you think. This is a serious long-term project, 
and we'll be continuing development on it; suggestions and requests 
for features are very welcome.

I'm posting this message to the main TEI list, the TAPoR tech list 
and Humanist; please feel free to repost it to any other list for 
which you think it will be relevant. Apologies for cross-posting.

Cheers,
Martin
Martin Holmes
University of Victoria Humanities Computing and Media Centre
http://web.uvic.ca/hcmc/
http://www.halfbakedsoftware.com/
http://www.mholmes.com/