Subject: Need a Word-files search utility
From: Al Magary <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2004 14:51:34 -0700

My Hall's Chronicle project has grown into a Word monster,
consuming 26 files totaling 70MB, due to my reliance on
three-column tables for transcription and notes.  As my Windows
XP machine can only keep two or three of these open at a time, I
have difficulty tracking things down:  something faintly
remembered might be in file 12--or was it 25? or 7?--or maybe
none of those.  So I need a good fast search utility that can
tackle a set of Word files and even keep its internal index
uptodate as I proofread and revise..

I'm trying out Files Search Assistant (description at
http://www.aks-labs.com/products/files_search_assistant.htm )
FSA seems flexible and fast. It builds a keyword index (no fewer
than 173,509 different keywords in Hall, thanks to the variable
16C spelling) in less than five minutes.  Subsequent  word
searches are quick, but FSA doesn't seem to allow browsing of
that word index, which for me is a requirement.  As well, I
can't seem to save the index, so it must be rebuilt each time I
need to use it.

Any recommendations from the list?

Thanks,
Al Magary