Subject: [Isasnet] archaeology: postdoc job (Durham / Bamburgh)
From: David Johnson <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 1 May 2006 09:53:25 -0400
List-Id: <isasnet.lists.fsu.edu>

Friends,

The following message comes to us courtesy of Jo Story.

--David

_____________________________________

Univ of Durham

Postdoctoral Research Associate
The Bamburgh Bowl-Hole Anglian Cemetery: a Contextual Study
Department of Archaeology

£20,044 - £22,289 per annum

This Postdoctoral Research Associate post will specifically focus on  
the use of osteological and isotopic analyses to identify local and  
non-local populations. Additionally, high-precision radiocarbon  
dating, conservation of grave goods, geophysical survey and an a DNA  
feasibility study will be undertaken alongside the osteological  
analyses. The project will run for 35 months and the principal duties  
of the successful candidate will be primarily to undertake  
osteological and isotopic analyses on the excavated skeletons from  
Bamburgh Castle Bowl-Hole cemetery. Additionally, the candidate will  
be expected to liaise and work with the Principal and co-applicants  
and the technician regarding the archaeological, historical and  
isotopic data analyses. The successful applicant will have a Ph.D. in  
physical anthropology where human remains from archaeological sites  
have been the subject of study and a MSc in a relevant subject area.  
Extensive experience of working on human skeletal material and  
recording osteological data, including age at death, biological sex,  
measurements, non-metric traits and palaeopathology.

The primary aim of this research project is to conduct a detailed  
contextual study of the early Medieval cemetery at the Bamburgh Bowl- 
Hole in north Northumbria using archaeological, osteological and  
scientific methods in order to address issues of early medieval  
contact, population movement, status relations and religious change  
in the 7th-8th centuries. The hypothesis to be tested is that a local  
and non-local population exists which can be distinguished  
archaeologically, skeletally and isotopically

Further details of the post and an application form are available on  
our website (https://jobs.dur.ac.uk) or Tel: 0191 334 6499; fax: 0191  
334 6495

Closing date 15 May 2006   Reference number 1383
______________________________________

David F. Johnson, Ph.D., FEA
Executive Director, International Society of Anglo-Saxonists
Director, Interdisciplinary Program in the Humanities
Florida State University
432 Diffenbaugh
Tallahassee, Fl 32306
850-644-0314 (Voice)
850-644-1139 (Fax)
www.isas.us

_______________________________________________
Isasnet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://lists.fsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/isasnet