Subject: Learned Love conference announcement
From: Peter Boot <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2006 21:02:39 +0100

The Emblem Project Utrecht (http://emblems.let.uu.nl/) will be completed 
by the end of the year. To celebrate the completion, and to reflect on 
what we have done, we're organising a conference on the two topics 
central to the project: the Dutch love emblem and the emblem 
digitization process. The second topic especially may be of interest to 
members of this list.

The Emblem Project Utrecht is digitising about 25 books of Dutch love 
emblems. All books will be available as images and in TEI-encoded 
markup. Basic digitisation has been done and preliminary editions of the 
books are accessible right now. Work until the end of the year will 
concentrate on (1) the creation of up-to-date search-and-display 
facilities, and (2) adding an extra level of indexing, cross-linking and 
translation in order to facilitate access.

A call for papers for the conference is available at 
http://emblems.let.uu.nl/emblems/congres.html. If you're interested in 
the project, or in the use of TEI for encoding other early modern 
material, please have a look at the call for papers. We anticipate the 
attendees will be a pleasant mix of emblem and technology specialists, 
and we welcome your abstracts very much.

Best regards,
Peter Boot