Subject: Digital Collections Librarian Position Announcement
From: Susan Schreibman <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 08:10:55 -0500

Title: Librarian (Digital Collections)
Category: Non-Tenured Faculty, Full-Time (12 Month Appointment)
Salary: Commensurate with qualifications and experience

The University of Maryland Libraries is seeking creative and dynamic 
qualified applicants for the position of Digital Collections Librarian. 
This position reports to the Assistant Dean and Head of Digital 
Collections and Research, who reports directly to the Dean of Libraries. 
The position will support the Assistant Dean in managing projects 
coordinated by the office of Digital Collections and Research. Working 
in a team-based environment, this position will research, evaluate, test 
and recommend various methodologies, standards, and software used in the 
creation of digital collections and their long-term preservation; 
maintain best practice documentation for all areas of digitization; 
provide expertise to others in the creation of digital collections; 
participate in grant writing and training initiatives.

Qualifications: Required: ALA-accredited master�s degree in library or 
information science or a master's degree in a relevant disciplinary 
area. Minimum two years of relevant experience in a digital library or 
digital humanities center or initiative. Demonstrated experience of 
successfully bringing digital projects in a library or humanities 
setting to completion. Professional familiarity with current trends in 
the conversion of analog to digital resources, born-digital resources, 
as well as the long-term management and preservation of digital objects. 
Proficiency in XML-based technologies, including but not limited to text 
encoding (EAD, and TEI). Demonstrated experience working with current 
metadata standards (including METS, Dublin Core, VRA Core). Knowledge of 
HTML and related technologies, (CSS and JavaScript).

Ability to manage project teams and to manage a broad range of tasks in 
response to varying time pressures with shifting priorities and changing 
constraints. Ability to maintain a systematic perspective; to actively 
participate in a team-based environment. Evidence of strong service 
orientation; ability to interact effectively with a broad variety of 
staff within the library, the university, and on collaborative 
initiatives with peers from other institutions. Excellent interpersonal 
skills; ability to communicate clearly, knowledgeably, and personably, 
both orally and in writing.

Preferred: Experience working on open source software projects and tools 
development; demonstrated experience with PhP, JSP, XSLT, XPath, Schema. 
Position is appointed to Librarian Faculty ranks. Appointment rank is 
based on the successful applicant�s experience and relevant credentials. 
For additional information, consult the following website:

http://www.lib.umd.edu/PUB/APPSC.doc.

Applications: For full consideration, submit cover letter, resume, and 
names/addresses of three references by April 17, 2006. Applications 
accepted until position is filled. Send to Jane Williams, Personnel, 
McKeldin Library, University of Maryland, College Park, MD 20742-7011. 
E-mail to [email-masked]. Fax: 301-314-9960. UM Libraries� website: 
http://www.lib.umd.edu.
The University of Maryland is an EEO/AA employer.

-- 
Susan Schreibman, PhD
Assistant Dean
Head of Digital Collections and Research
McKeldin Library
University of Maryland 
College Park, MD 20742

Phone: 301 314 0358
Fax: 301 314 9408
Email: [email-masked]