Subject: Hi guy
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Cc: Bernard Muir <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2004 12:54:45 +1000

Pat, would you please forward this to the text initiative group--I haven't signed on yet, but 
will look at doing so. Thanks guy--Bernard

Dear all,

I have been looking at what has been said lately about the Exeter and Junius projects 
and  thought that I should address a few questions that have been raised.

The Exeter CD was completed nearly three years ago but its release has been held up 
by internal problems and negotiations at the press. You may have heard that the 
University has in fact sold the press to its publisher Simon Baker. Simon intends to now 
release the CD in October or so this year. We are currently updating its 'look and feel' to 
bring it up to the standards of the Junius 11 fax.

I covered all costs involved in producing the Exeter CD ROM, and they were substantial, 
as you might have guessed. I was and am in favour of a lower porice or a two-tiered 
pricing structure for the CDs, but the matter is out of my hands. The Junius 11 CD is 
priced about where I think it should be, although a two-tier pricing structure for future 
titles in the series (Bodleian Digital Texts) may be considered.

We are looking at moving to a different platform / method of delivery for subsequent 
works in the series and will make our move when we are satisfied that what is chosen 
will allow us to improve our product. For the moment we are happy with the appearance 
and functionality 
of Junius 11; I have purchased virtually everything else that has been offered for sale in 
this area and haven't seen anything as good (in my opinion!) I hope that it serves users' 
needs for the present.

In an ideal world works such as these will be delivered from a website rather than via 
CD, but there are many financial and technical consideratioins that are keeping this from 
happening at present.

Unfortunately, I couldn't make Leeds because I had limited time in the UK and was 
working at the Bodley on the Terence manuscript for the series. It is scheduled for 
release in the second half of next year.

I'll be happy to discuss our projects further. I intend to give a paper detailing our projects 
and agenda in August 2005 at the ISAS conference, but much can be said before then.

All the best--Bernard Muir
[email-masked]     website: www.evellum.com
Reader, English Department, University of Melbourne
John Medley Building, Parkville, Australia 3010
FAX: 61-3-8344 5494 Phone: 61-3-8344 5506