Subject: [ANSAX-L] Junius 11 again
From: Nicole Guenther Discenza <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2009 13:21:51 -0400

Once again, thanks to everyone who responded.

Pat: I'm surprised you could get it to work on your MacBook Pro when 
Britt couldn't, and I can't get it running on my personal MacBook 
(non-Pro) or my very fast and powerful iMac on campus. I'm running OS X 
10.5.6; what system are you running? Do you have anything special on 
your machine that might account for your success?

Roy: I do appreciate the advice but I'm really hesitant to sink more 
money into this! I checked my records; I bought a working CD-ROM in 2005 
for $82 (a decent price!). If I add Parallels ($90) and Windows ($95), 
I've more than tripled the price. There might be a free open source 
program I can use instead of Parallels, but I'd still have to buy 
Windows. I don't want to buy it personally. My department isn't paying 
for any software at this time. If I can find a free equivalent to 
Parallels, our site license might allow IT to put Windows on my Mac, and 
then I could use the CD at school, but not at home.

What I've really sunk into this whole business at this point is time: 
trying three browsers on two different machines, asking for and 
researching suggestions, reconfiguring Safari to emulate IE 5.2.3 when 
the real thing didn't work at all on my machine, checking the prices of 
software I would use solely to run this one CD.... I think my best 
option is to stick with the departmental PC laptop unless someone comes 
up with a free, and not terribly time-consuming, fix.

Meanwhile, those considering purchasing /Junius 11/ on CD-ROM should 
know: it is fantastic when I can use it properly. The images are 
amazing, especially under magnification; you can even see some of the 
drypoint. There's some very useful commentary as well. You can't run it 
on most Macs, however--and I do wonder if at some point it will cease to 
run on newer PCs, too. (You can also learn from my list of things I've 
tried, if you're trying too, and not have to replicate all my experiments.)

(The /eBeowulf/ has all the advantages of the /Junius 11 /and more, 
/and/ it still runs on my Macs, by the way. That's only helpful if you 
want to see the /Beowulf/ manuscript, of course---but who doesn't?)

Best,
Nicole

-- 
Nicole Guenther Discenza
Associate Professor of English
University of South Florida
4202 East Fowler Ave., CPR107
Tampa, FL  33620-5550

*********************************************************************
  Reminder: For assistance write to Bill Schipper ([email-masked])