Subject: Announcing Easymacs: an all-in-one Emacs configuration for new users.
From: Peter Heslin <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2005 10:02:05 +0100

Easymacs is an easy-to-learn, one-size-fits-all configuration for new
users of GNU Emacs. It sets up key bindings that conform to a common
denominator of the Gnome/KDE/OS X/Microsoft Windows human interface
guidelines, and provides function-key bindings for other powerful Emacs
features. It is fully documented, and the new user can productively edit
text right away, without going through the Emacs tutorial. Many
commonly-used functions can be accessed without having to learn the
"chords", or multiple keystrokes that Emacs uses by default.

http://www.dur.ac.uk/p.j.heslin/Software/Emacs/Easymacs/

It uses nxml-mode for editing and validating XML, including TEI
documents.  It comes with TEI P4 and P5 schemas, documentation for TEI
P5, and the stylesheets for generating HTML, LaTeX, and FO from TEI XML.
TEI documents default to using TEI Lite for P4 or P5, but this can
easily be overridden by your own schemas.

I would like for it to be as feature-rich for editing TEI documents as
TEI-emacs already is, so suggestions for other things to include are
welcome.  The advantage it may have over TEI-emacs is that it should be
*much* easier for a new Emacs user to learn; the disadvantage is that
you will be learning a non-standard way of using Emacs.

Peter