Subject: Two digital humanities job openings at Brown University
From: Julia Flanders <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2007 10:08:09 -0400

Two Digital Humanities Job Openings at Brown University

The following two jobs have just been posted. Prospective applicants who 
will be attending the Digital Humanities conference at the University of 
Illinois next week are encouraged to contact Julia Flanders 
([email-masked]) to set up an informational meeting.

1. Scholarly Technology Group�Senior Research Programmer

STG staff have expertise in text encoding standards, accessibility, 
database design, web programming, digital project design, information 
design, and grant-writing. We combine a strong background in the 
humanities and social sciences with a deep interest in the meaning of 
digital technologies for scholarly communication. Our research explores 
these issues as they affect faculty, institutions, and the ongoing 
evolution of the academic enterprise.

The Senior Research Programmer Analyst works closely with faculty and 
STG staff to carry out digital humanities projects by performing project 
analysis, providing technical leadership, programming and software 
development in support of STG�s projects. This person will recruit, plan 
and manage projects, write grant proposals, stay abreast of new 
methodologies and practices relevant to Digital Humanities and 
disseminate STG�s work at conferences.

Qualifications:
� Minimum Bachelor�s degree, advanced degree in the humanities 
preferred. Some formal CS coursework or equivalent preferred.
� At least 2 years experience in Digital Humanities or comparable area.
� Strong technical background in relevant areas: XML, web technologies, 
metadata standards, text retrieval.
� interest in digital communications and collaboration, new media.
� Strong analytical and problem solving skills; can formulate options, 
develop and recommend solutions, especially in a constantly changing 
work environment.
� Can take a leadership role in a diverse team.

For more information email [email-masked].

2. Women Writers Project�Project Manager / Textbase Editor

The Women Writers Project develops and publishes a digital research 
collection of early modern women�s writing, and conducts ongoing 
research on digital editing and text encoding. The WWP Project 
Manager/Textbase Editor is responsible for the general management of the 
WWP, overseeing the development and editing of the textbase content, 
managing licensing for Women Writers Online, and managing the WWP�s 
outreach and publicity activities. The Project Manager also works on WWP 
research projects and occasionally with the Scholarly Technology Group 
as opportunity permits. The position requires expertise in humanities 
computing, literary research, and computer project management, and a 
strong background in TEI/XML text encoding.

Qualifications:
� Minimum of three years successful experience in coordinating or 
supervisory role in scholarly editing, publishing, textbase projects.
� Extensive experience in XML/TEI scholarly text encoding
� Experience and relevant research in humanities computing and textual 
editing preferred, additional experience in women�s literature or early 
modern studies preferred.
� Excellent computing capabilities, must be comfortable with unix, XML 
tools, databases, advanced publishing software, etc.
� B.A required, M.A. or Ph.D. preferred, in literary studies or another 
relevant humanities discipline

For more information email [email-masked].

Brown University is an EEO/AA Employer.
To apply, go to http://careers.brown.edu

* About the Scholarly Technology Group

The Brown University Scholarly Technology Group (STG) provides advanced 
technology consulting to Brown humanities faculty, departments, 
libraries, and research centers primarily through large and small 
projects in support of scholarly work in the digital medium. We also 
explore the critical new technologies that are transforming scholarly 
work and helping to maintain its longevity: data and metadata standards, 
XML publication tools, text encoding methods, new media forms, and 
accessibility standards. STG has three staff members: the Director, a 
Senior Research Programmer, and a Research Programmer. STG also employs 
between 3 and 5 student programmers and designers; students who are 
domain experts often contribute to projects.

For more information visit the STG web site at http://www.stg.brown.edu.

* About the Women Writers Project

The Brown University Women Writers Project (WWP) is a long-standing 
digital research project focused on developing and publishing an online 
research collection of early women�s writing. Since 1988 the WWP has 
been engaged in discovering, collecting, transcribing, encoding, and 
publishing rare texts by women for use in research and teaching. The WWP 
collection, published online since 1999 as Women Writers Online, is 
widely used in the USA and internationally. The project itself has been 
recognized as a leader in research on scholarly text encoding, and 
provides consulting, training, and research support to digital projects 
and individual scholars at Brown and many other institutions. The WWP 
group includes three staff members: the Director, the Senior 
Programmer/Analyst, and the Project Manager/Textbase Editor. The project 
also employs a group of between 5 and 10 graduate student encoders.

For more information visit the WWP web site at http://www.wwp.brown.edu.

* Digital Humanities at Brown University

At Brown, the digital humanities have a long history which includes 
groundbreaking work in fields as disparate as hypertext, text encoding, 
linguistic corpora, and computer graphics. Digital support groups, 
long-standing research projects, and individual faculty members now make 
up a thriving community for research, discussion, instruction, and 
development. The Library�s Center for Digital Initiatives focuses on 
digitizing important and distinctive library collections whose content 
lends itself to digital dissemination. The CDI also addresses 
institution-wide issues in digital research including metadata 
standards, digital repositories, and the long-term archiving and 
preservation of digital materials. The Scholarly Technology Group 
supports digital humanities research through its faculty grants program, 
through seminars and public lectures, and through the research of its 
staff. Research projects like the Women Writers Project, the Modernist 
Journals Project, the Virtual Humanities Lab, and many others work 
closely with the CDI and STG.

* Brown University

Brown University, located in Providence, Rhode Island, is a leading Ivy 
League institution with a distinctive undergraduate academic program, a 
world-class faculty, outstanding graduate and medical students, and a 
tradition of innovative and rigorous multidisciplinary study. A 
commitment to diversity and intellectual freedom has remained a hallmark 
of the University since its establishment in 1764. Brown students are 
distinguished by their academic excellence, self-direction, and 
collaborative style of learning. The Brown faculty is deeply committed 
to teaching, preeminent in their fields, and leaders in advancing 
knowledge that has broad scholarly, theoretical, and practical 
applications.

Brown offers competitive benefits through a generous retirement plan, an 
employee education program, and a tuition aid program for employee�s 
dependents. For details on these programs and eligibility please browse 
our web site at: 
http://www.brown.edu/Administration/Human_Resources/prospective_staff.html.