Subject: [Isasnet] Daniel Paul O'Donnell Receives Honorable Mention in MLA Prize Competition for Distinguished Scholarly Edition
From: David Johnson <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2008 14:17:59 -0500
List-Id: <isasnet.lists.fsu.edu>

Colleagues,

Fellow member Dan O'Donnell's recent book, Cædmon's Hymn: A Multimedia  
Study, Archive, and Edition (D. S. Brewer in assn. with SEENET and the  
Medieval Academy, 2005) won Honorable mention in the MLA's Prize for a  
Distinguished Scholarly Edition (they only designate two such).

The Committee's Citation for O'Donnell's book reads:

The three descriptive terms in the subtitle suggest what makes this
brief, but landmark, work so significant. Daniel Paul O'Donnell has
produced a distinguished study and edition of a text that is a
foundational one in the Old English literary canon, to which he has
added an archive of the surviving witnesses, comprehending all previous
work and adding significantly to it. The accompanying CD-ROM includes
not only the book's materials but also much additional editorial
material of the greatest scholarly value for studying the manuscripts in
detail, presenting color facsimiles of most of the witnesses. The
digital and the paper-based works are conceptually integrated, and both
are meticulous, thorough, and intellectually impressive.

We all know he really won it, though, as the 1st place winner was an  
edition of Johnson's The Live of the Poets, and the honorable mention  
went to an edition of the Malleus Maleficarum. I mean, if it came down  
to a choice between Johnson, Cædmon and the Devil, who would you choose?

All best,

--David

David F. Johnson
Former Executive Director, International Society of Anglo-Saxonists
Chair, Department of Interdisciplinary Humanities
Florida State University
432 Diffenbaugh
Tallahassee, Fl 32306
850-644-0314 (Voice)
850-644-1139 (Fax)
www.isas.us

_______________________________________________
Isasnet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://lists.fsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/isasnet