Subject: Nebraska Digital Workshop
From: Kenneth M Price <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 9 Apr 2006 21:41:52 -0500

First Annual Nebraska Digital Workshop

Center for Digital Research in the Humanities (CDRH)
University of Nebraska-Lincoln
September 22-23, 2006

The Center for Digital Research in the Humanities (CDRH) at the University
of Nebraska-Lincoln will host the first annual Nebraska Digital Workshop on
September 22-23, 2006 and seeks proposals for digital presentations by
pre-tenure faculty, postdoctoral fellows, and advanced graduate students
working in digital humanities.

Workshop Goals

The goal of the Workshop is to enable the best early-career scholars in the
field of digital humanities, including but not limited to, English,
History, and Modern Languages, to present their work in a forum where it
can be critically evaluated, improved, and showcased.

Under the auspices of the CDRH research faculty and staff-a group that
includes CDHR Co-Directors Kenneth M. Price and Katherine L. Walter, Brett
Barney, Andrew Jewell, Brian Pytlik Zillig, Douglas Seefeldt, William G.
Thomas, III, and Judellen Thornton-J�ringe-the Nebraska Digital Workshop
will offer opportunities to discuss the potential of humanities computing,
present examples of successful projects created at the CDRH, offer a new
tools workshop, share strategies for developing administrative and
institutional support for digital humanities scholarship at the applicants'
home institutions, and share external funding and grant-writing tips. The
Workshop ultimately endeavors to foster a network of digital scholars who
will come together across disciplinary boundaries at the workshop, and who
in the future will advance humanities computing and help define the state
of digital scholarship. For information on the Center for Digital Research
in the Humanities and faculty/staff biographies, see http://cdrh.unl.edu.

The Workshop will supplement its roster by bringing two nationally
recognized senior scholars in digital humanities to Lincoln to participate
and work with the scholars whose work is selected for presentation. This
year, the Workshop coincides with the Department of History's third annual
Pauley Symposium on the topic "History in the Digital Age," a gathering of
top digital historians that will include: Abdul Alkalimat, University of
Toledo; Edward L. Ayers, University of Virginia; Peter Bol, Harvard
University; Alan Liu, University of California, Santa Barbara; John Lutz,
University of Victoria; Patrick Manning, Northeastern University; Mary Beth
Norton, Cornell University; Jan Reiff, University of California, Los
Angeles; Roy Rosenzweig, George Mason University and Robert Schwartz, Mt.
Holyoke College. Two of these digital humanists will participate in the
Workshop.

Travel, Lodging and Honoraria

The CDRH will pay for travel and lodging expenses and scholars will receive
an honorarium for presenting their work at the Nebraska Digital Workshop.
Workshop participants will also be invited to all of the Pauley Symposium
"History in the Digital Age" events.

Selection Criteria

Applicants are encouraged to submit a three-page narrative abstract for an
approximately 30-minute presentation of their digital project along with
files of, or links to, any digital elements, electronic text, analytical
tools, or multimedia visualizations already created. Applicants who are
earlier in the production phase of their digital project may also submit
descriptive text that explains their plans for such digital materials.

Selection criteria include: the significance of the project in primary
disciplinary field, elements of technical innovation, theoretical and
methodological sophistication, and creativity of approach to the subject.

To Apply

Applicants are asked to send a proposed workshop abstract, curriculum
vitae, and a representative sample of digital work via a URL or disk to
William G. Thomas, III, Chair, Nebraska Digital Workshop Committee, via
email attachment at [email-masked] or via surface mail at 615 Oldfather Hall,
UNL, Lincoln NE 68588-0327.

Deadline

The deadline for applications is May 1, 2006.